Now is your time to provide feedback on the Wangetti Trail proposal. Public comment is due in by September 11, 2020.
The Wangetti Trail proposal is essentially a 100km dual purpose mountain bike and walking trail with campsites and privately operated ‘eco lodge’ accommodation along the trail in several locations. The concept is simple enough, but it is vital to note that it is located in the Wet Tropics World Heritage Areas, and in one of the more sensitive areas, the Black Mountain Corridor.
There are complexities with several camping and lodge sites along the Trail with logistical support required for catering, rubbish removal, sewage disposal and emergency access.
Concerned locals have drawn attention to a number of specific issues including:
- the need for consideration for the endangered cassowary
- general feasibility was touched on but requires more in-depth risk analysis
- the concept to traffic mountain bikes with riders of various ages and experience with hikers / trekkers is controversial in itself
- natural disasters such as cyclones, torrential and monsoon rain, fire, and temperature will limit seasonal use
- comparative scope, impact, delivery and operation
It is essential for interested and concerned Douglas Shire residents to provide their feedback while they can.
- Website: www.ditid.qld.gov.au/our-work/…
- Comments: https://ditid.mysocialpinpoint.com.au/wangetti-trail-community-consultation#
- Email: QldEcotourismTrails@ditid.qld.gov.au
- Telephone: 1800 957 852 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm AEST)
- Mail: Department of State Development, Tourism and Innovation, PO Box 15168, City East, QLD, 4002