In a joint initiative of the Queensland State Government and Tourism Tropical North Queensland, a campaign offering $200 travel vouchers to Queenslanders was announced today.
THE move to release the travel vouchers is a bid to revitalise the far north’s devastated tourism industry, and expected to generate an extra $14 million in visitor spending.
The Queensland government will release 15,000 travel vouchers for Queenslanders wanting to visit Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef. The Holiday Dollars vouchers are available to Queensland residents, and are valued up to $200, as a fifty per cent discount on eligible attractions and experiences in the region.
What tourism experiences are included in the travel vouchers?
If you’ve ever dreamt of a trip to the Great Barrier Reef, a guided tour to the Daintree World Heritage rainforest, bungy jumping, skydiving, a day spa experience, a scenic helicopter flight or a visit to a wildlife park or aquarium, these are all examples of tourism experiences that are included in the voucher offer.
Participating tourism operators will be listed on the Queensland.com website once the vouchers have been allocated.
Local tourism operators can get involved by visiting the Tourism Tropical North Queensland site here.
Tourism has taken a hit during the pandemic, and those who depend on international visitors have been doing it particularly tough – especially up north…so if you‘ve ever wanted to visit Tropical North Queensland, now’s the time – Queensland is the place to be.Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk
The travel vouchers draw will take place between March 8 and 11, 2021. Successful applicants need to book their tourism experience for between March 15 and June 25, 2021.
Will Port Douglas and Cairns locals be eligible for the travel vouchers?
There will be a limited number of vouchers available for locals who want to get out and explore their own backyard. Use the opportunity to invite family and friends to come and visit!
How does Cairns Holiday Dollars work?
- There will be 15,000 travel vouchers worth up to $200.00 (inc. GST) available for Queenslanders travelling to the Tropical North Queensland region.
- When you book an eligible tourism experience, the travel voucher will cover 50 per cent of the cost, up to a maximum value of $200.
- Visitors can claim one voucher per person over 18 years. Vouchers are not transferable.
- There are three days to register your details to enter (between 12pm AEST on 8 March and12pm AEST on 11 March 2021).
When will the travel vouchers be available?
- Queenslanders can register their details to enter on Queensland.com from 12pm (AEST) 8 March and 12pm (AEST) 11 March 2021.
- Successful recipients of the vouchers will be notified by email and SMS on 15 March. You can use the voucher to book tourism experiences from 12pm (AEST) 15 March – midnight (AEST) on 25 June 2021.
When can the vouchers be used?
- Vouchers can be used any time between 15 March – midnight (AEST) on 25 June 2021, subject to operator availability.
What is the ‘Cairns & Great Barrier Reef’ region?
- The vouchers can be used throughout Tropical North Queensland including Mission Beach, Port Douglas, the Atherton Tablelands, Cooktown and the Torres Strait.
- The area covered by Tourism Tropical North Queensland (TTNQ) – Cardwell in the south, north to the Torres Strait and west to the Northern Territory border.
How does the draw work, is it a lottery?
The process to distribute the Cairns Holiday Dollars vouchers is a Trade Promotion Lottery. It will be open for 72 hours from 12:00pm AEST, Monday 8 March 2021 to 11:59am AEST, Thursday 11 March 2021. The lottery will be conducted using an electronic random draw. All entrants will be advised of the outcome on Monday 15 March 2021 via email. Successful entrants will receive their voucher by email and SMS on Monday 15 March 2021.
Today really is a great day to start dreaming, for Queenslanders, it’s time to explore like never before!
[…] we launched this campaign we expected it would deliver at least $1 for tourism businesses for every $1 of government […]
[…] Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said the Cairns Holiday Dollars initiative would generate around $14 million in the coming months for the Far North’s economic recovery from […]
[…] Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said Cairns Holiday Dollars would pump millions of real dollars into the Far North’s […]