Notification of Public Event – 2023 Cairns Airport IRONMAN Asia-Pacific Championship Cairns
The Cairns Airport IRONMAN Asia-Pacific Championship Cairns is back in 2023 for the twelfth time. This year’s event is expected to attract over 4000 competitors over the six-day period. The IRONMAN Group, in partnership with Tourism and Events Queensland, Cairns Regional Council, Douglas Shire Council and Queensland Police Service, are coordinating the event and have put together the following information for you.
The Cairns Airport Ironman main event is set to take place on Sunday, June 18.
For the safety of competitors, motorists and spectators, there will be a number of road closures and changed traffic conditions between Port Douglas and the Cairns City area.
We urge you to familiarise yourself with the road closures and plan journeys ahead of time to avoid being caught out on the day.
Leaving earlier and allowing for additional travel time may also assist in avoiding potential delays.
Please follow the directions of traffic controllers and police along the course to help keep everyone safe.
Further Road Closure Advice
For more information on road closures, car park closures and runners on pathways, please visit: http://www.ironman.com/im-cairns or phone the IRONMAN hotline on 1300 761 384.
Wednesday 14 June 2023 – Monday 19 June 2023
• The event build starts on The Esplanade Lawn on adjacent to Rattle n Hum on Tuesday 6th June. • The Finish Line Precinct within the Lagoon Carpark will have a partial closure from Thursday 8th June with a full closure from Monday 12th June until Wednesday 21st June.
• The Transition area will be located in Fogarty Park, with closures in place from Tuesday 13 March. • Merchandise, Expo and Athlete Check-In (Esplanade Lawn) is open through Thursday 15th June until Monday 19 June 2pm.
• Quicksilver Green Island Reef Swim – Thursday 15th June 7:55am, Green Island
• COUCH Charity Fun Run – Friday 16th June 7:35am, Cairns Esplanade
• IRONKIDS – Saturday 17th June 8:00am, Cairns Lagoon, Cairns Esplanade
• Cairns Airport IRONMAN 70.3 Cairns – Sunday 18th June 6:35am, Palm Cove
• Cairns Airport IRONMAN Asia-Pacific Championship Cairns – Sunday 18th June 7:40am, Palm Cove • Event bump out on roads commences immediately following the final athletes
• Lagoon Carpark and Esplanade Lawn will return to business as usual from Wednesday 21st June The IRONMAN webpage is the best point of reference for any event information: https://www.ironman.com/im-cairns
The IRONMAN Group and Down Under Tours are providing a paid shuttle transfer service to and from the event for participants, spectators, and any Cairns based staff/workers that wish to take advantage of the service to and from Cairns to Palm Cove. These operate every 30mins on Saturday and every 10mins on Sunday.
• Pick-Up Location: Reef Fleet Terminal, Pier Point Rd, Cairns
• Drop-Off Location: Palm Cove Surf Club, Palm Cove
• Operating Hours: Saturday 17 June: 8:30am-2:45pm, Sunday 18 June: 4:00am-11:00am
Visit https://www.sunbus.com.au/cairns or call (07) 4057 7411for more information about bus stop closures, regular routes and timetables that may be affected.
There will be some road closures in place throughout the event. Please refer to the Changed Traffic Condition Flyers which can be found https://www.ironman.com/im-cairns-course. Access will be granted to genuine local traffic (residents and staff). Traffic controllers will man road closure points. Please approach the traffic controller and clearly indicate where you need to access. Delays may be expected, please allow extra time
Parking restrictions and tow away conditions apply to local areas around the event zone – please refer to the CTC flyer for full details: https://www.ironman.com/im-cairns-course
Parking is available at Lake Street, Trinity Wharf, Secure Parking Grafton St, and The Pier Shopping Mall. Always check local signage parking time limits.